Top Signs You Need New Windows
Windows have a limited lifespan. The original quality, usage and installation are factors that will influence how long your windows last, but eventually all windows will need to be replaced. When you know what signs to watch for, you can react before your windows cause costly problems for your home.
With decades of experience, our team at Liberty Restorations in Columbus can repair or replace your windows and ensure your house is warm, safe and economical. The first step is understanding the signs that you need to replace your windows, and how often they need to be replaced.
No Fixed Rules
There is no concrete rule for when your windows need to be replaced. Modern windows often come with a manufacturer’s guarantee, as do most new homes. For many older homes without a guarantee, the longevity of your windows comes down to many factors such as the climate, age and solidity of your home, as well as maintenance and cleaning history of the windows.
Several signs that it’s time to change your windows include:
- Difficulty opening or closing your windows: This is a sign that your window frames are damaged or swollen due to humidity or that your frames or walls have shifted, which is common in older homes.
- Water leaks around your frames: Water getting in around your windows happens when the seal between your frames and walls fails. This needs to be treated quickly to avoid mold and water damage.
- Water leaks around your panes: Water that is getting in between your windowpanes and window frame is a result of a damaged or worn seal around the panes themselves.
- Humidity between your panes: A seal around the panes of multipane windows keeps gas inside for better insulation. If this seal goes, humidity can form between the panes, which is impossible to remove.
- Drafts around your windows: Even if you don’t see obvious water leaks around your window frames or sills, you could still have a leak that allows outside air to enter.
- Higher energy costs: A change in your heating or cooling costs can be a sign that your windows need to be replaced. Watch your monthly energy bills and compare with previous years to detect any changes.
If you notice any of these signs, it may be time to repair or replace your windows. Your home is a huge investment, so protecting it is important. If you pay close attention to the state and performance of your windows, you can plan their replacement when it’s convenient, such as in dry, mild weather.
If you think it is time to change your windows, contact our team today. We can do a home inspection and give you information on the condition of your windows. Liberty Restoration is your partner in Columbus, Ohio, for all your home window needs, including simple sealing repairs, pane replacement and complete installation of new windows. With our experience, we can help you determine if your home is in need of windows and restore all comfort, safety and efficiency to your home.